Longsands Community Primary School

Together Everyone Achieves More

Longsands Lane, Preston, Lancashire, PR2 9PS

Telephone: 01772 795676

email: office@longsands.lancsngfl.ac.uk

Local Offer

SEN and Disability

Local Offer: Primary Settings

Mainstream, Short Stay Schools, Special Schools and Academies

Name of School: Longsands Community

School Number:  06071



School/Academy Name and Address


Longsands CP School







Does the school specialise in meeting the needs of children with a particular type of SEN?



If yes, please give details:





What age range of pupils does the school cater for?

4-11 years

Name and contact details of your school’s SENCO

Mrs S McKeown




Name of Person/Job Title


Mr P Seagraves


Contact telephone number


01772 795676




Promoting Good Practice and Successes


Please give the URL for the direct link to your school’s Local Offer




Paul Seagraves


27th march 2014


Accessibility and Inclusion

  • How accessible is the school environment?

Is the building fully wheelchair accessible? Do you have accessible parking spaces? Have there been improvements in the auditory and visual environment? Are there accessible changing/toilet facilities? How do you improve access to the setting?

  • How accessible is your information? - including displays, policies and procedures etc.

Do you have information available in different font sizes, audio information, Braille, other languages etc. How does the setting communicate with parents and families whose first language is not English? How is information made accessible to parents and families with additional needs?

  • How accessible is the provision?

How do you make use of resources such as symbols, pictures and sign graphics to support children's access to resources? Do you have furniture such as height adjustable tables or alternative ways of presenting activities so that children can access them?

  • Do you have specialised equipment (eg; ancillary aids or assertive technology?)

What the school provides

2 disabled parking spaces in staff car park

1 disabled toilet and shower in room designated for changing etc

Wheelchair accessible. i.e no steps in or around school, doors and corridors wide enough throughout school

Information about school including policies, governors, staff, class pages ,contacts and weekly newsletters  are available on the school website. We have the teachers to parents texting service. School porch has information sent through from  the LEA and Surestart . Some of this information is accessible to families with English as additional language.

Resources for children are labelled with pictures and words where appropriate. Resources are displayed at children's height

We have no specialised equipment.


Teaching and Learning

  • What arrangements do you have to identify and assess children with SEN?
  • What additional support can be provided in the classroom?
  • What provision do you offer to facilitate access to the curriculum and to develop independent learning? (This may include support from external agencies and equipment/facilities)
  • What SEN and disability and awareness training is available to all staff?
  • What staff specialisms/expertise in SEN and disability do you have?
  • What ongoing support and development is in place for staff supporting children and young people with SEN?
  • What arrangements are made for reasonable adjustments and support to the child during tests and SATs?
  • How well does your SEN provision map illustrate the range and level of support for individual pupils or groups with similar needs and the resources allocated to meet those needs?

What the school provides

Teacher observation, note keeping and gathering of evidence from a variety of sources are all vital in fully assessing a pupil. Some or all of the following are also considered:

  • information from transferring nursery/school, parental information and family history, school based assessments, standardised tests ,diagnostic assessments, learning styles, progress meetings, schools tracking system.
  • Additional support- we implement provision mapping of TAs which is updated each half term after discussion with teaching staff and IEP evaluations. .The  children’s needs are matched up to the TA experience and also the relationship the child has with a TA.our whole school provision map shows the times of the day when the children will have individual /small group support. The individual child’s timetable of support shows this in more detail. Both are updated half termly.
  • We have intervention groups which run three times a week for those children who need a boost. These children are not necessarily on our SEND register but have been highlighted by teaching staff as in the need for some short- term support. This is reviewed each half term. We have half termly progress meetings where teaching staff meet with the SLT to discuss individual and group progress.
  • We have half termly support for our ASD children from Hillside specialist school who observe and recommend strategies for the TA to use with the children to encourage their independence and ability to access the curriculum, i.e. PECs & individualised curriculum planning
  • We have outside input from SALT for strategies to improve communication skills for our children and a care episode plan are formulated by the therapist and out into practice by our TAs.
  • We have music therapy for the children who need it to access the curriculum
  • Each term we have SEND training for the whole staff including welfare. The training is planned around the needs highlighted for our children at that time  and in the SDP
  • Our SEND governor is a clinical psychologist.
  • We have a nurture group that has been set up for those children who have been identified by teachers and parents by using the Boxall profile questions. At the present time we have three afternoon sessions for nurture. One session is for one to one times with the children who are experiencing a worrying time and need that extra nurture support. This is a flexible arrangement. The other sessions are timetabled with structured activities for the group.
  • Those children who need readers etc during SATS are appointed one and there is room within school to accommodate them during the week. If a child needs extra time or green paper for SATs this is applied for at the set time. If a child needs to be dis-applied due to their SEND this is also done.

Reviewing and Evaluating Outcomes

  • What arrangements are in place for review meetings for children with Statements or Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plans?
  • What arrangements are in place for children with other SEN support needs?
  • How do you assess and evaluate the effectiveness of the provision you make for children and young people with SEN and Disability?

What the school provides

SENCO invites all those involved with the stated child to the annual review meeting. Parents and TA complete their feedback sheet prior to the meeting and this is circulated at the meeting for consideration. We use the Lancashire forms on the portal. The statement advice form is circulated to all concerned and the review advice form is completed during the review meeting. The stated child produces, with their TA, a large picture montage of all the things they have been doing and the child comes along to the meeting to share the montage.

Each half term, parents are invited into school to discuss their child’s IEP targets with the assigned TA. Evidence collected during the half terms IEP sessions is used to show parents etc on how the targets are worked upon. The class-teacher and SENCO are also available by request. The IEP is evaluated and new targets set after previously being discussed between CT and TA and SENCO, the child also has time set aside to discuss their targets and if they have met them. The targets set are SMART and reflect the child’s needs at that time.

Keeping Children Safe

  • How and when will risk assessments be done?  Who will carry out risk assessments?
  • Where can parents find details of policies on anti-bullying?
  • What handover arrangements will be made at the start and end of the school day?
  • Do you have parking areas for pick up and drop offs?
  • What arrangements will be made to supervise a child during breaks and lunchtimes?
  • How do you ensure a child stays safe outside the classroom? (e.g. during PE lessons, school trips)

What the school provides

Risk assessments are done in line with LEA and school policy i.e. school trips, behaviour risk assessments. School does adopt the LEAs risk assessments for everyday risk The risk assessments are done by the CT, TA, SENCo and schools EVC who is also the HT. In some cases risk assessments are done with support from  the LEA or any other outside agencies and settings i.e. Golden Hill school,IDSS

For those children who have been highlighted as in need of a handover at the end of the day, the assigned TA waits with the child until parents/carers have arrived. There is a brief chat about the day before the child leaves with their parent/carer

The school has a car park next to the building and through the gate that parents can use

During activities that are outside the class the assigned TA stays with the child and follows the direction of the CT through the lesson. During playtimes the child is first made aware of expectations of playtime relationships and behaviour before going outside with the TA.

School trips- the assigned TA accompanies the child on a one to one basis with no responsibility for other children and the risk assessment names the child and any risk is highlighted just for that child.

The anti-bullying policy is available on the school website under the policies heading

Health (including Emotional Health and Well-being)

  • How do you manage safe keeping and administration of medication?
  • Which health or therapy services can children access on school premises?
  • How do you work with a family to draw up a care plan and ensure that all relevant staff are aware of the plan?
  • What would the school do in the case of a medical emergency?
  • How do you ensure that staff are trained/qualified to deal with a child’s particular needs?

What the school provides

We have medical cabinets in the Reception class area, the KS 1 wet area, Years 3 and 4 wet area and years 5 and 6 wet area. The medical cabinets are wall mounted and lockable .Stored in the cabinet are inhalers etc clearly named with instructions on how many times etc the inhaler is needed. Any care plans are sent through to school via the child’s doctor and discussed with parents and adults who will be involved with that child. If a child has to have their inhaler etc the CT will advise the parent either directly at pick up time or via the teachers to parents texting service.

The first aiders in school are aware of these children and in the case of particular needs ie Diabetes; sufficient staff will have the required training to administer the insulin. This training will be given as and when it is required. By the 23rd May all teaching staff will have had defibrillator training and the equipment will be available in the Heads office.

In case of medical emergency more than one first aider will be called along with the HT and a decision will be made as to whether or not an ambulance will be called. The school secretary will call Parents/carers as soon as the first aiders have assessed the severity of the injury.

 Bump to the head texts are sent home by the school secretary and parents are invited to ring school for further details.

Communication with Parents

  • How do you ensure that parents know “who’s who” and who they can contact if they have concerns about their child/young person?
  • How can parents give feedback to the school? 
  • How do parents communicate with key staff (eg do they have to make an appointment to meet with staff or do you have an Open Door policy?
  • How do you keep parents updated with their child/young person’s progress?
  • Do you offer Open Days?

What the school provides

The school website has a list of all staff with their role within school.

The school website has a list of all governors and parents can contact the governors via an email or phone call to the school office and the secretary will pass the message on to the relevant governor.

As key staff apart from the HT have a full time teaching commitment parents will make an appointment to see the appropriate staff member. The HT has an open door policy where parents can discuss issues.

There is no planned yearly open day as the HT prefers prospective parents to drop in or make an appointment for a one to one show around school.

Parents are kept updated about their child’s progress through half termly mini reports in KS1  and KS2 and in Reception class weekly review sheets. The SEND children’s parents/carers also  have daily home school diaries . Parents and teachers use email  and appointments to discuss progress further. We have parents evening planned during the Spring term. At the end of the school year there is an opportunity for all parents/carers to visit school during an open afternoon to discuss the end of year. This open afternoon is also used for SEND children’s parents to meet with their TA and next teacher to discuss the needs of that child as part of the transition process we have for SEND children.

Feedback by parents- the annual Lancashire questionnaire, by email, by meetings with the HT, in Reception class a section at the bottom of the weekly review sheet

Working Together

  • What opportunities do you offer for children to have their say? e.g. school council
  • What opportunities are there for parents to have their say about their child’s education?
  • What opportunities are there for parents to get involved in the life of the school or become school governors?
  • How does the Governing Body involve other agencies in meeting the needs of pupils with SEN and supporting their families? (e.g. health, social care, voluntary groups)

How do home/school contracts/agreements support children with SEN and their families?

What the school provides

School has pupil governors that meet and discuss issues the children decide themselves. They feedback to the HT and once a year to full governors.

We have parent/grandparent helpers in school and they are timetabled in to support with reading etc. We have parent governors who are voted in by the parents. We have an active PTFA who plan half termly events for the children, parents and staff i.e. school discos, summer fayres, raffles and Christmas refreshments.

The Governing body act through the SENCO and HT on the agencies that are involved in school. Our SEND governor is a clinical psychologist and therefore assesses our children on a regular basis.She is updated half termly on other SEND issues in school.

What help and support is available for the family?

  • Do you offer help with completing forms and paperwork?  If yes, who normally provides this help and how would parents access this?
  • How does the school help parents with travel plans to get their child to and from school?
  • What information, advice and guidance can parents access through the school?   Who normally provides this help and how would parents access this?

What the school provides

The school porch has information displayed from many outside agencies. The information ranges from how to apply for FSM, the school nurses contact details, Surestart information and parent partnership contact numbers.

If a parent needs support for completing forms or asking questions the school secretary is available along with the HT and other appropriate staff.

Parents can access information that they need through school ranging from contacting school governors, the school nurse, FSM forms, parent partnership, Surestart, PTFA, and the school website

Parents can come into school to ask these questions or ring the office for help.

Transition to Secondary School

  • What support does the school offer around transition?  (e.g. visits to the secondary school, buddying)

What the school provides

The year 6 teacher holds meetings with the heads of year 7 for the feeder secondary schools. We have visits in the summer term from one of our feeder schools to carry out activities in year 6. Our year 5 children have regular trips to a local farm which is part of another secondary school,. Information of open days to various secondary schools is displayed in the school porch and also put onto the weekly newsletter.

SEND children’s transition- depending on the child’s needs a separate  transition plan is put into place to allow the move to be as smooth as possible. This ranges from the SENCO at the secondary school being invited into Longsands to meet the child, attend the annual review meeting [if stated], information being share and day visits to the secondary school.

Extra Curricular Activities

  • Do you offer school holiday and/or before and after school childcare? If yes, please give details.
  • How do you help children to make friends?
  • What lunchtime or after school activities do you offer?  Do parents have to pay for these and if so, how much?
  • How do you make sure clubs and activities are inclusive?

What the school provides

We have no holidays club or before and after school clubs. However Discovery Vine run clubs at the local Millennium Hall for just our children,. They pick up at 3.20 form the school hall and drop off at 8.45 to the classrooms. Discovery Vine also run a holiday club at the millennium hall.

All children are able to join in the after school clubs we offer. Some of the clubs are run privately and therefore have to be paid for- Guitar and keyboard are run by Broughton music association, Spanish, Starlight drama group, ballet by Miss Gillian, Rainbows and brownies, Karate. Some are run by school- netball, choir,football,.