Longsands Community Primary School

Together Everyone Achieves More

Longsands Lane, Preston, Lancashire, PR2 9PS

Telephone: 01772 795676

email: office@longsands.lancsngfl.ac.uk

SEN info Report


Longsands C. P. School

Longsands Primary School is a mainstream school


How does Longsands Primary School know if my child needs extra help?

The progress of all children at Longsands Primary is tracked and monitored each half term. This enables early identification of children who are failing to make progress.


What should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?

If you, as a parent, have concerns regarding your child then you should make an appointment to see the class teacher. Where appropriate the concern will then be shared with Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator. (SENCO)


How will the school staff support my child?

Learning targets are broken down into smaller steps to aid progress and also to provide a detailed and accurate individual learning plan. TA support within the classroom enables these children to fully access the curriculum.

The school has purchased IDL (indirect dyslexia learning) this is a specialist, multi-sensory intervention system can also be used at home for additional practice.

Children can be screened for dyslexia and dyscalculia and assessed by outside agencies such as IDSS. In the case of children with medical needs, specialist support, equipment and training is provided by IDSS and NHS (School Nurse, Diabetes Nurse etc).


How will I know how my child is doing?

Parents of children with a statement /EHC contribute and take part in Annual Reviews and receive copies of all relevant paperwork concerning their child. Pupils are also asked to make a contribution to the review.

Each half term parents of SEN children are invited into school to discuss targets and progress with staff. The next steps and targets are then discussed with parents and the child.

The school has one Parents Evening each school year, this is in February with half termly reports sent home from the first half term. It also has an open afternoon in July.

In addition to speaking to the class teacher, the parents of children receiving help from our TAs will also have the opportunity to meet and discuss their child’s progress with them each half term and also the intervention coordinator Mr Hudson and SENCo Mrs McKeown are available by appointment at any time throughout the year.

IEPs are produced half termly and the school operates an Open Door policy with regards to any concerns a parent may have.

The intervention provision map records the type of intervention a pupil is receiving, the duration, pupils’ progress throughout the school and records how much progress individuals make following interventions.  The schools tracking system [classroom monitor] also tracks progress and provides data monitoring pupils receiving the interventions and also the children who have more targeted SEN support.


How will my child’s needs be identified and the learning and development provision matched their needs?

  • The method of identify and allocating provision follows a graduated approach:
  • Each child’s education will be planned for by the class teacher
  • Teaching and learning will be differentiated accordingly to suit the needs of individual children.
  • This may include additional general support by the teacher or teaching assistants in class.
  • This is quality first teaching that happens in the classroom.


Additional Need

If a child’s needs relate to more specific areas of learning then the child may be included in an intervention group. This may be led by the class teacher or teaching assistant. The length of time the intervention is run for varies according to need but will be monitored regularly. Interventions will be reviewed by the teacher and intervention coordinator to establish the effectiveness of the provision and to inform future planning.


Higher Needs

If a pupil has higher level needs this may result in them being identified as requiring SEN support and in the creation of a pupil IEP. The formulation of a pupil IEP will involve the parents /carers, child and where applicable other relevant professionals. This process will identify targets for the child and how they may be achieved.


Complex Needs

If a pupil’s needs are more complex a formal assessment for an educational, health and care plan may be undertaken.


What support will there be for my child’s overall wellbeing?

We recognise that some children may have additional emotional and social needs that need to be developed and

nurtured. These needs can manifest themselves in a number of ways, including behavioural difficulties, anxiousness, and being uncommunicative.

When a teacher has a concern about this happening with a child, the Boxhall profile is completed by the class teacher, parents are involved and the child is then part of our school nurture group.


What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

The school can also access external agencies (e.g. Educational Psychologists, IDSS (Inclusion, Disability and Support Service) Speech Therapists where necessary.


What training have staff, supporting children with SEND had or are having?

Support and teaching staff are kept regularly up to date with First Aid Training to ensure the staff are familiar with what action to take in the event of an emergency.       

In addition, there is termly staff training for areas of SEND that have been identified as appropriate for our needs and children. All staff and the SEND governor attend this training. Individual teachers can request training.


How will you help me to support my child in their learning?

Your child’s class teacher may suggest different ways in which you can support your child at home, both with homework and with individual areas of need.


The SENCO Mrs S Mckeown or the intervention coordinator Mr R Hudson may meet with you to discuss strategies on how to support your child with their specific needs.


If outside agencies or the Educational Psychologist have been involved suggestions and programmes of study are normally provided by them that can be used at home.


How will my child and I be involved in making decisions about my child’s education?

When children have been identified as having additional needs, the thoughts and feelings of the child and the parents/carers, together with the views of school staff and relevant professionals are taken into account, this may be through:

* Informal discussion with staff

* Teacher and child meetings

* Teacher and parent meetings

* Review meetings, including outside agencies where appropriate

* Informal meetings and discussions


How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom, including school trips?

Appropriate provision and reasonable adjustments will be made where necessary. 

Medical support will be put in place where necessary.

In some instances parents/carers may be asked to accompany their child on school trips . This will be under discussion with parents and the EVC coordinator Mr Seagraves.


How accessible is the school environment?

There are two disabled parking spaces available for the public and for disabled persons and there is a disabled toilet and shower near KS1.

All doorways within the school are wide enough to accommodate a wheelchair if necessary.

Information is available on the school website and on the notice board in the entrance porch plus weekly newsletters that are  emailed through to parents or a hard copy if they prefer. School furniture is modern and of a suitable height appropriate to the age group of children being taught in that classroom.

The school has a range of ICT programmes for pupils in addition to Ipads, headphones, laptops, computers and

interactive whiteboards installed in every classroom.


How will the school prepare and support my child to join the school, transfer to a new school or the next stage of education and life?

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND, and we take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.


If your child is joining us from another school:

* The SENCO will undertake a pre-visit where appropriate or speak to the previous school’s SENCO

* If your child would be helped by a social story to help them in understand moving on, one will be made for them.

* Your child will be able to visit our school and stay for taster sessions, if this is appropriate.


If your child is moving to another school:

*We will contact the school SENCO and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that needs to be made for your child.

* We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.


When moving classes in school:

*Information will be passed on to the new class teacher in advance and a transition meeting will take place with the new teacher.

* There will be opportunities to make additional visits to the new classes, if this is appropriate.


In Year 6:

*Each Year pupils visit their forthcoming Secondary School for a taster day and also Secondary Teachers from the Local Schools visit to help ease the transition from Year 6 to Year 7.

*The SENCO will discuss the specific needs of your child with the secondary school SENCO.

* Children with statements are offered extra taster sessions at their chosen secondary school. These are discussed at the transition meeting which is held in the Spring term.

* Your child will also participate in focused learning relating to aspects of transition, to support their understanding of the changes ahead.


How will the school’s resources be allocated and matched to children’s special educational needs?

* The school budget, received from Lancashire LA, includes money for supporting children with SEN.

* The Head Teacher decides on the budget for Special Educational Needs in consultation with SENCO and school governors, on the basis of needs in the school.

* The money is used to provide additional support or resources dependent on individual needs

*Additional provision may be allocated, after discussion with the head teacher and the class teacher at pupil progress meetings, or if a concern has been raised at another time


How is the decision made about how much support my child will receive?

Through consultation with parents, teaching and support staff, and relevant external agencies, the level of support will be constantly reviewed in order to identify when and where additional support may be needed.


How can I find information on the local authority’s Local Offer of services and provision for children and young people with special educational needs and disability?



Who can I contact for further information?

Key Contacts


SENCo – Mrs Sue Mckeown - Acting Head  



Intervention - Coordinator Mr Rob Hudson - Year 3 



SEN governor Mrs Julie Lukraft Voges via the school office 01772 795676


Lancashire Local offer site –